Reviews for Cut, by Patricia McCormick

Quick, sensitive, positive.

christinekaydee's review

emotional medium-paced

ceruleanjen's review

Cut was a fast and enjoyable read. The main character, Callie, is staying at a mental institution because she not only cuts herself, but has also stopped speaking. I really liked the setting because for some reason the idea of it fascinates me.

I liked the writing style well enough, though I didn't really enjoy the way the 2nd person perspective was done. It seemed to only be present at certain times and took me a while to figure out the story was being addressed to Callie's therapist.

I liked the characters, especially Ruby. The relationships between the characters were strong and interesting, especially between the girls. I feel the book did a good job with the subject matter, though I have no experience with it. Seemed pretty legitimate, however.

A nice, short read that tackles real issues.

3.5 stars.

Laura Ramsborg's review

A really well-done book that takes the reader inside the minds of people who cut or self-harm due to the emotional pain they are feeling. This is a quick, exceptional read.

Heather in Japan's review

3.5 stars out of 5

A short novel based on a girl sent to a center after it becomes known that she self-harms. It focuses on how hard it is for her to be there without truly recognizing what is really bothering her. It doesnt actually focus much on the fact that she self-harms but rather the psycological effects that brought her to it. It was well-written and a good read.

thewolvessaid's review

Way better than I thought it was going to be!

Debz's review

I found this book in my classroom this morning, left over from one of the two students (both boys) who are reading for independent reading. I started it this morning, finished it this evening. It was touching, interesting, emotional, fairly believable, and gripping. I understand why my students like it.

HexTheBookWorm's review

1.0

this is a book about cutting for people who have never had first hand experience with it.

Rovertoak's review

Actually began listening to this one in the car and had to stop -- this was one I needed to read and not be in the car trying to drive. This is a real cryer.

tracylaura's review

I really enjoyed this book, I have heard wonderful things about McCormick and was eager to read this. The book followed Callie and her journey as a patient at Sea Pines aka "Sick Minds". Callie's story is dark and disturbing yet beautifully told.