Reviews for Death in the Clouds, by Agatha Christie

libraryofalexandria's review

Honestly one of the best AC books I’ve read in a while! Very quintessential Poirot here - tidy, ingenious, and sneaky.

rabbitprincess's review

It's the mid-1930s, perhaps not quite the golden age of passenger flight but certainly a great deal more comfortable than the average economy-class flight today. A small airliner called the Prometheus is flying from Le Bourget to London and counts Poirot among its passengers. Alas, poor Poirot's stomach is not up to the demands of flying and so he spends most of the trip asleep. How chagrined he feels when, just before they are about to land, he hears terrible news: one of the passengers has been murdered not 10 feet away. How could Poirot fall down on the job like that? He will just have to investigate...!

This is definitely one of Christie's sillier novels. The victim is killed by what appears to be a South American blowpipe/poison dart combination, and she is a very powerful woman with no shortage of potential murderers. Poirot enlists the aid of Jane Grey, one of the passengers on the plane, as he solves the crime with his usual aplomb, and perhaps feeling more "at home" for once, because he gets to collaborate with Inspector Fournier of the French Sûreté and enjoy delicious meals in Paris. Much as he likes England, I am sure this was a nice change for him.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed this one more because I'd seen the David Suchet adaptation just a couple of days before starting to read, so the characters were still fresh in my mind. The adaptation was for the most part faithful to the story, although some details were changed and a couple of characters were combined (in the adaptation, Jane is one of the stewardesses). Nothing serious, though; if you just watched the adaptation, you wouldn't be missing much.

Edition notes: So glad I don't own the Fontana edition. That one has a REALLY scary cover.

armorcats's review

mysterious medium-paced

I listened to the audiobook.

_jackiefu's review

• Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

3.75

ZanyAnomaly's review

Was on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading..The twist at the end was unexpected! Only Agatha Christie can write like this!

fivetilnoon's review

This wasn't one of my favorite Poirot books but it was a quick read and enjoyable. Hastings was absent and there wasn't as much time spent on Poirot's foibles (neatness, mustaches, commentary of English manners, etc). It kept me guessing until the end.

Nirmalya's review

2.0

The murder method, it stretches the credulity. Very thin it stretches! The necessary information, it is not revealed till the very end. That is not the cricket, as you English say. Mon ami, one is not amused.

lil's review