Reviews for A World Without Princes, by Iacopo Bruno, Soman Chainani

• Loveable characters? Yes

3.25

disis19's review

3.5 stars

I enjoyed the story telling in this book, but I did not enjoy Sophie's character one bit. I don't think she was entirely what made this story not as enjoyable as it's predecessor for me though. The pitting of genders against each other was not enjoyable to me either and the ending of this installment was kind of unsettling to me - Not because I didn't know where it was going, but it's disturbing to me. I can't say anymore on that without giving things away, so I'll stop here.

hay_elfkin's review

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

3.5

SonjaReader's review

1.0

Couldn’t take it anymore! Horrible writing. Nothing happening. Back and forth. Character stupidity ALL THE TIME. My advice is to look up on google for summaries of the books. That’s about as good as reading them.

Alenka's review

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

Phew I... have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. I sort of don't know what to do with Yara, and all the gender dynamics/gender swapping is... I don't know! I don't think Chainani ever really leans into bad gender essentialism, and especially in the last 1/2 or at least last 1/3 of the book this really feels like a story about Sophie cracking under the weight of others' expectations, unable to deal with any trauma she's experienced. Agatha's struggle is similar, but rather than struggling with a fundamental understanding of herself, she struggles with her fundamental sense of who Sophie is, and whether or not Sophie can hold herself to a moral standard. There was a lot of build up to get to that point and I sort of wish the book had gotten there faster. I do still want to see where Chainani is headed so, onto book three...

cnohero's review

Once again I laughed and laughed through this book. It's such a fun read and I can't wait to read the sequel.

mfletcher's review

I thought that this was a great sequel though at times it could be confusing. Will definitely be reading the final installment to this trilogy.

MissSophieReads's review

4.5 for the slow beginning (although that might be my fault for getting a bit disconnected with the story by not picking up the second book earlier)

Firstly - that cliffhanger though! I swear, this author is pure evil ending this book this way. Good thing I've got the third one waiting right here!

I feel like the second book was a lot more relaxed than book one - don't get me wrong, I loved the roller coaster ride of the first book, but I feel like the characters are finally starting to settle a bit, figuring out who they are. The new twist of the schools was interesting and fun and I really liked all the different perspectives given.

Basically it's about what if Agatha had chosen differently - not her best friend but her prince instead? (which gets me thinking - why can't you have friends and love at the same time? I hope this will also be touched upon in book three - it wasn't really resolved in this book).

Funny and fast-paced, all of the characters more likable than in the first book and a killer cliffhanger ending, so, please excuse me, I have to go read book 3 now!

books.onmars's review

The plot was a little complicated, and they didn't really finish answering the question s they could have answered in this book instead of the next. However the characters were written well, particularly the new Tedros, but Hestor and Anadil are and will always be my favourite characters!!