Reviews for DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test, by Hamish Steele

karli_linne's review

I don’t think I’ve read a graphic novel with this much representation. It wasn’t over done either, which is really good. I loved the world that was established. The art style was very nice too. Overall a solid read.

Bdietrich's review

This web-comic-turned-graphic novel is a fun read. I can definitely see my teens (and tweens) enjoying it.

Norma and Barney are besties who both work at Dead End, the haunted house attraction in a theme park. However, the haunted house is more than just a scare-tacular attraction; it's a literal portal to hell. As such, Norma and Barney --in addition to their custodian and docent responsibilities-- have to defeat the demons who come out of that portal. Their techniques are more luck/brains/goofball than brawn.

Diverse reads-friendly: Norma is African-American
LGTBQIA+ friendly: Barney is trans

emdash08's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious sad fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes

A charming, fun little story. The characters are new adults, but teens will likely enjoy it too. I look forward to the Netflix adaptation; I think it's going to translate to TV really well.

tashrow's review

Barney has just gotten a job as the janitor at the Dead End theme park in the haunted house. His best friend Norma works there too. But Dead End is not just a haunted house, it’s much more a portal to literal hell. There are visiting demons, some of them friendly like Courtney who serves as an ambassador and others terrifyingly evil and powerful like Temeluchus. Temeluchus is the demon that Barney and Norma defeat in the early part of the book, who ends up possessing Pugsley, Barney’s dog. Pugsley gains magical powers and the ability to speak. Soon the three of them discover the dangers of running a portal to hell but also manage to work on their love lives along the way.

Steele has created one of the zaniest, twistiest and most demonic graphic novels around. The novel is a collection of his web comics and sometimes starting a new chapter is rather like starting a new story. That’s not a complaint, because it suits the spirit of the book but those looking for a more linear tale will find themselves confused at times. Just go with it!

The diversity here is very strongly represented. Barney is a transgender character and the book deals with this in an upfront way and also allows readers to see glimpses of Barney’s past. Perhaps the best part is the love storyline for Barney and Logs, though I also appreciate his friendship with Norma who is equally enjoyable, strong and multidimensional, sometimes literally.

A graphic novel for teens that has enough demons, laughter and romance to entice anyone. Appropriate for ages 13-16.

TinkeringLibrarian's review

Good characters but unnecessarily convoluted plot. This is somewhere between Regular Show and Welcome to Nightvale with horror riffs some teens may miss, like RHPS. Lots of fun for the right reader.

traceythompson's review

Loved this! Funny, colorful, heartbreaking, relevant. It is YA? Yeah, probably. But that's not important. Now, where's the next book?

LadyPageling's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

4.75

bpaigewilson's review

A wonderful book with a wonderful art style, I enjoyed the overall story but felt like it was a bit disjointed in the progression of the series. The characters are lovable and have a lot of diversity (even the demons).

SunSoar25's review

This was awesome and weird. If you like Spill Zone by Scott Westerfeld and Nimona by Noelle Stevenson, I have a feeling you'll enjoy this as well.

Smiting Hedgehog's review

Buffy+Steven Universe (found family, awesome queerness and diversity, emotional realness and character depth) in an alt-Dollywood of eldritch horrors. And Pugsley the wizard-dog 😍😍😍 This was amazing and I loved it.