Reviews for Down Among the Sticks and Bones, by Seanan McGuire

kiracanread's review

I LOVED this instalment in the series. By far my favourite, I really like the characters of Jack and Jill and their story.

Ps. The audiobook is narrated by Seanan McGuire, and she is an EXCELLENT narrator for her own books. Love it.

Leabug's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

alisonrose711's review

I don't know why I waited so long after reading Every Heart a Doorway to pick up the second book in this series, but I'm so glad I finally did, because for me it was even better than the first. This volume, which I suppose is a prequel, follows the backstory of Jack and Jill - two characters familiar to millions of readers, yet entirely new to us as well. The twins, both girls in this story, are born to parents who wanted them as nothing more than some kind of bizarre social and professional stepping stones. They're each forced into gender and behavioral roles that don't always fit, and they grow up together but not together.

And then one day, at 12 1/2 years old, they find a door, and a staircase, and a hidden world. The Moors is such a wonderfully drawn place, creepy and eerie and evocative, and the people (or not-people, as the case may be) they encounter are equally so. The twins are parted and develop separate lives, follow separate paths of varying darkness, learning more about themselves and what they want, and what they're willing to do for it.

And of course, it ends with violence and blood and tears and rage. As all good dark AF fantasies ought to. I really enjoyed the exploration of gender and its ever-shifting constructs, of family - both typical yet insufficient, as well as found and substantial - of desire and the capacity within anyone for wickedness or goodness. I think, as with the first, my main complaint would just be that I wish it were longer, that we got more of the plot closer to the ending, and a little more of the pain that arises from both Jack and Jill at who the other has become. But overall this was another wonderful book in this series, and I swear I'm gonna read the third one much sooner.

Grimread's review

the ending was good. But I would still like to know what happened to them when they got back to that Moor place after the ending of Every heart a doorway.

ameronie's review

2.0

2.5 stars, simply doesn't work for me.

Pear's review

It actually scratched the surface of five stars - alas, it had been too light of a touch for me.
Again - similarly to the first book, the characters were likable and felt real. I loved the touch of gayness. The shortness of the book was a bit frustrating, as it didn't quite allow for the entire story to be told.

stephanie.stump's review

Ugh I loved this! I need to reread the first book now that I have so much more background!

Neele's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

bananna's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

4.5

butyougotmysoul's review

This book was fantastic. I need more from this world and from Seanan McGuire!