Reviews for Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys

Reehotta's review

Loved this entire story, and it was incredibly well told, but it ended so so abruptly! I really wanted more.

JackieDressedInCobras's review

I'm not much of a historical fiction reader but man, this book was amazing. It taught me of a part of history I never even knew existed.

This is the second book I read in two days that broke my heart and brought me to tears. It's difficult to read sometimes because of the subject matter, however, written in a way that easily understood. It was fantastic.

hquin's review

this was so heartbreaking.

micsdirt_nbooks's review

dark emotional hopeful medium-paced

Anya Worley's review

I just finished watching the video posted on Ms Ruta Sepetys and i am literally shivering. How can people be so cruel? Oh god I.NEED.TO.READ.THIS.BOOK.

LDV's review

Really tough subject matter, but an aspect not often covered in WWII fiction. Probably easier to read because it is YA and therefore keeps descriptions simple but real. There is hope in the story, even though it is so heavy and dark. A very appropriate title.
The nationalities are different and the locations are different, but otherwise the themes are similar to Jewish stories of deportment and concentration camps: survival depends on hope, humanity, and community.
May I who live here and now be ever grateful for what I have.

elenabeth's review

I need to reread this but it’s such a hard topic, sad time in history that even though I remember really being impressed with this story it’s hard to want to read again. The cruelty that Lina faces is hard to stomach but it’s definitely an impactful story that brings teaches about history

sarahpelle's review

This book was phenomenal. I rarely cry while reading a book, but this one made me. Not because of this dark and horrible time of History, but because, no matter how hard things are, Lina sees the beauty in everything. She somehow gave me some faith about humanity, though I don't have a lot of it. So thank you Ruta Sepetys for writing this amazing book about living and fighting for it.

curlyhairedbooklover's review

It was great

bookishkitkat's review

Not as good as Salt to the Sea. The writing was definitely blander than I expected. Nevertheless, I’m excited to read more books by Ruta Sepetys!