Reviews for The Dawn Chorus, by Samantha Shannon

lottireadsalot's review

dark emotional slow-paced

patchworkbunny's review

Honestly, I was a bit confused which goes to show how much I need to recap before the next book. I did think Paige's trauma was handled well, and I hope Warden plays a bigger part in the next book.

Lollalong's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced

3.75

Expand filter menu Collapse filter menu Content Warnings

Graphic: Torture

forsakenfates's review

This was a great novella to bridge the time between books 3 and 4. It was really well done in terms of how Paige dealt with the trauma and pain she went through in the previous book. However, I didn't like the flashbacks as much as the present time in Paris with Warden.

veeofwilds's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

In comparison to The Pale Dreamer novella, I feel like The Dawn Chorus is (probably) a vital read before The Mask Falling because it dives deep into the trauma that Paige is dealing with after the events of The Song Rising. There are some really important character moments in here for Paige (and Warden.) Unlike the first three books in the series, I think The Mask Falling is going to be the first one that does not begin immediately where the previous book left off, which makes this bridge novella even more crucial.

If you’re into this series because of the romantic elements then you’ll be VERY happy with the content of The Dawn Chorus.

robiok's review

4.5
I’d say this is a needed step for every reader of the series. Im so glad we have this work dedicated to acknowledging Paige’s trauma: consequences are fundamental when dealing with a story that shows a brutal reality as it’s important to remember that even the heroes are people and people hurt.
I will love with the hope that one day the novellas that come out along the series will be collected in their own physical volume? That would be lovely!

folieassdeux's review

80 pages of flashbacks to Sheol I with the best side characters, Paige and Warden content with lots of domesticity, TLC, and deep emotional conversations, and sensitively handled trauma recovery - what more could you want?

Debra's Book Cafe's review

There are only a very small handful of series that I will pick up the novellas for. Normally, I am not one for picking up the books in between the full length novels but this series is one of the exceptions. Any chance to have a brief glimpse into this world again, I will take.

We see Paige and Arcturus in this novella where Paige is healing from what has happened in The Song is Rising. Now this is a relationship between two characters that I have wanted to follow and learn more from. We watch as Paige heals and Arcturus helps her.

For fans of this series, this novella is definitely a must pick up. For those who have not yet read this series, it is best to read the first three books in the series before picking up this novella.

I can't now wait until the next book in the series comes out now in 2021!

For more reviews, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)

morganek's review

challenging emotional fast-paced

4.75

Caitlin Dee's review

I really enjoyed this!! But honestly, I'm so happy to have any TBS content, waiting for the fourth book has been torture. I liked the past/current timeline of it and delving more into Paige and Warden's relationship. It's just made me more anxious for the mask falling!!! A full re-read with the novellas will definitely occur before February.