Reviews for The Silvered Serpents, by Roshani Chokshi

sovereigns's review

I loved the representation in this book! The dialogue, the characters, everything! I related very much to Enrique and Zofia. The twists in this book, although I expected some, still had me shocked and wanting for more. With that ending? Of course I would want more. I can't wait to be with these characters again.

aelins's review

Rating: 5 stars.

This. I have been anxiously waiting for this book ever since I finished The Gilded Wolves, and yet although I got it from Netgalley a while ago, I was too afraid to touch it until now because I feared it couldn't live up to The Gilded Wolves.
Now I regret waiting. This was all I hoped for and more.
Roshani Chokshi's writing never fails to amaze me. Her prose is so beautiful, her use of metaphors and symbolism is simply magical, and her worldbuilding and the way she incorporates magic into her stories is singular. The dialogue between the characters felt so familiar, although this book had a totally different tone than The Gilded Wolves, and the banter was so well written.
I now love all of the characters even more than before. They all feel so real, their struggles are easy to emphasize with and they all carry their own unique burdens. I loved the way their friendship as well as the individual relationships played such a huge part and how they all developed throughout the story. And I love how she always manages to incorporate the character's heritage and culture into the story and shows that those make them who they are.
The pacing of this one was faster than in the first book and I definitely found myself unable to stop reading towards the ending. I didn't anticipate some of the plot twists at all, although they were all cleverly set up during the book. The ending made me almost scream out loud and I can't believe we have to wait for the next book to see how the story continues.
I loved this book just as much as I loved The Gilded Wolves, and Roshani Chokshi has yet again proven why I consider her one of my favourite authors.

Alenka's review

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

PHEW THAT WAS A LOT! Like holy crap the last chunk of that book just takes off running, just as the first did so - less surprising this time! But uh what a fucking cliffhanger ending holy shit! I love Zofia so much and she is absolutely the MVP of this book for me. Hypnos' sweet loneliness and need to belong is just... ugh my heart. The beginning of the next book is going to be absolutely wild after this holy crap.

Collecting my feelings! I had a similar experience with this book where it didn't quite grab me at first but moved along nicely until I was totally hooked. The interactions between the characters - their jokes, memories, all the things that make up their bond - are what truly make the story, which is perhaps why Severin is so incredibly frustrating in this one. With all the trauma he and Tristan survived throughout their childhood, and all the intense promises he'd made to protect him and the group as a whole, his motivations make sense. However, I still want to just smack him! Your friends want to BE with you, not for you to shut down and try not to be a person - although in a way that's what saves them in the end. Oy, Severin. Get your fucking act together.

Also Hypnos, Zofia and Enrique all just need to be in a polyamorous relationship. Hypnos seems like he might be aromantic in addition to being bisexual? But in that sweet scene where Zofia and Hypnos each fell asleep on one of Enrique's shoulders I was like maybe this is where this will go?!! But who knows, that's for a future book.

lovely01laura's review

• Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

maryamorevna's review

[3.75]

Rusha Gupta's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

ariel_reads's review

So good!! Excellent continuance of Guilded Wolves. I really appreciated the treasure-hunting aspect, especially interwoven with commentary on the toxicity of colonialism. Can't wait for book 3!

readingonastar's review

no no no no NO NO NO NO! I WANT TO GIVE THIS BOOK ONE STAR JUST BECAUSE OF HOW IT ENDED! But Chokshi I LOVE YOU SO YOU KNOW I CAN'T DO THAT

theelo's review

What can I say, this book lived up to The Gilded Wolves and made me love the world and characters so much more.

The Silvered Serpents began with our group being separated, but that was to be expected after the events of the first book. This book dealt with grief by showing the different ways each character dealt with it. Even though it had this element, Roshani Chokshi managed to add some humor and have a lighter mood.

The characters are written beautifully. The author delves further into their pasts and helps us understand the motives behind their actions. The relationships are built upon more in this book but I still think that there was not enough character interaction on-page. I wanted more scenes with just the characters without the plotting or action scenes to cut in between their time together.

Two new characters were introduced in this book, Eva and Ruslan. I immediately distrusted them, but I did not like Eva in particular. She came in immediately hating Laila for no apparent reason, and while it was later somewhat explained, I didn’t like how it was handled.

There was a lot of poor communication between the characters, whether it was side characters or main characters. Everyone spoke over each other and left no room for explanations, which led to needless drama.

Zofia and Hypnos are two of my favorite in this series, any time either of them is in the scene is a treat.

Roshani Chokshi’s writing is stunning with descriptions that make me visualize every scene and setting. I love how much detail she puts in every sentence.

The magic and the tools that the group uses are also better explained in this installment of the series. I still have some questions, but I’m sure they’ll be answered in the next book.

The ending was exciting and heartbreaking at the same time. There were so many plot twists, some I saw coming, some I didn’t. I cannot wait for the next book!

*received an e-arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review