Reviews for The Deep, by Rivers Solomon, Daveed Diggs, Jonathan Snipes, William Hutson

pnwbookishmama's review

adventurous challenging reflective medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? It's complicated
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

4.25

GwenTolios's review

I can already tell I'll want to reread it in about a year. There's a lot to unpack here, and I think as I learn more I'll come at it from a different angle each time. I found the mythos fasinating, and the discussions about how individuals and societies relate to history something that often made me slow down my reading so I could absorb it more.

Also adding to my ace shelf because two of the characters, once they started talking about relationships, felt really demi to me. And, honestly, I don't think there's a single straight romantic relationship in this story and that's amazing.

karena fagan's review

Ever since I read [b:An Unkindness of Ghosts|34381254|An Unkindness of Ghosts|Rivers Solomon|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1488470439l/34381254._SY75_.jpg|55469636], I've been aching for another story from Rivers. When I found out they had a novella inspired by The Deep by Clipping, well, let's just say, it couldn't get into my hands fast enough. I read this too fast and will probably read it again soon. There are so many details that you don't expect to find in such a short story. Haunting, mesmerizing, and impactful are all words I would use to describe this story. It is nothing short of a work of art.

redbecca's review

I'd recommend this to everyone - music fans, SFF fans, and people interested in the history of slavery and imagining new worlds.

ZepysGirl's review

I was following along pretty well up until about the last 1/4th of the book, that’s when it lost me. Things suddenly started moving really fast and it felt rushed.

KathyM91's review

This was simply stunning. I listened to the audio book, and it was so concise and layered that I'm honestly amazed it's only a novella. I've seen some people complain that there isn't much plot, but I think its exploration of deeply traumatic and complex themes would have only been confused by a very plot-heavy story. In particular, it's commentary on inter-generational trauma and how that can be dealt with were deeply moving and not easily answered, and I think I'm going to be thinking of this book for a long time to come.

A-P's review

4.5
Äänikirja oli oikee valinta tälle!

cappuccino136's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

Rivers Solomon is a wonderful writer. They say so much with such economy. This is short, but needs to be read slowly and thoughtfully. Themes of trauma, generational trauma, memory, history, identity, and more.

LiteraryGiraffe's review

challenging emotional fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes

timshel's review

I absolutely loved the concept of The Deep, essentially that there are descendants of pregnant African slaves who’d been thrown overboard during the oversea voyage. The descendants, born of water, raised by whales, continued to thrive in the ocean.

The concept was easily the best thing about The Deep. It's an idea I'd love to see explored in more depth. I also really liked the language in this book. The words Solomon uses echo the lull and tempest of the ocean.

This is a very short book, and I never felt as though the story or the characters were given sufficient space to be fleshed out, or to grow.