Reviews for Dead Man's Folly, by Agatha Christie

rabbitprincess's review

2.0

* * 1/2

It's a village fête with a twist: instead of a treasure hunt, noted mystery novelist Ariadne Oliver has been tasked with devising a "Murder Hunt". Sounds like a lot of fun! However, Mrs. Oliver is concerned. She has a strange feeling that things could go wrong. So she calls in Hercule Poirot, on the pretence of being the prize-giver for the Murder Hunt, but unfortunately he is too late to prevent a real murder…

This will be one of the final novels adapted for Agatha Christie's Poirot, and I have to say this seems like one that will work better on the screen. I found the book itself kind of plodded along until the murder, and then it took Poirot much longer than seemed usual to crack the case. The solution, once revealed, was very clever, albeit not entirely expected from my point of view. Perhaps a more attentive reader than I will pick up the clues more carefully.

lil's review

mysterious

3.5

Reader_'s review

Mrs Oliver is organising a murder hunt game at one if the vilage fetes and feels something is wrong, that some forces behind the scenes are at work. She calls Poirot and while he is there an actual.murder takes place, fillowed by the disappearance of the lady of the house. The rest of the book is about the solving of this mystery by Poirot.

is one of the weaker Agatha Christie books, despite the fact that Poirot makes a very early appearance. And even the presence of Ariadne Oliver fails to rise this book beyond three stars. Rarely do i feel bored while reading Christie's books but i had to force myself to complete this one.

Definitely not the best place to start Christie.

WishfullyReading's review

I love Ariadne Oliver.

theredheded_bibliomaniac's review

I completed it in a day, whats more to say. The most interesting part about book was the Murder Hunt and it was organises by the established crime writer Mrs. Oliver. When she gets an intuition that the actual murder might take place, she invites Mr. Poirot to help her in preventing the murder. But it does take place and When a real murder takes place in between a Murder Hunt, Poirot has to find out who the murderer is. I kind off guessed a small part about the suspense, but couldn't guess the murderer. It's good read must read by mystery lovers.

zackbs's review

It's Agatha Christie and Hercule Poirot, it's great, what else would it be. This one presents a real challenge for Poirot and its interesting to see him in a moment of defeat, albeit temporary.

joeesomething's review

A classic Agatha Christie, worth the read (and priceless for a review) :P

AliciaMae's review

Thoroughly entertaining, if a little silly and outlandish, Poirot story.

mwgerard's review

Please read my full post here: http://mwgerard.com/summer-of-christie-dead-mans-folly-part-2/