Reviews for Around the World in Eighty Days, by Brian W. Aldiss, Michael Glencross, Jules Verne

moraa's review

Was young when I read this, really young. And I loved it.

McFate's review

• Loveable characters? No
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

Laima Fonseca's review

adventurous challenging funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes

• Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

nicholasbobbitt1997's review

This is a really solid translation of a really nice book. It's utterly readable for me, and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

darusha's review

In what is a very odd case of cognitive dissonance, the plot of the Jackie Chan movie (which bears very little resemblance to the original here) actually makes more sense than the book. However, this is an entertaining travelogue with wacky characters and a crazy plot. Think of it as the "classics" version of a non-sensical thriller.

Meegy's review

Finished this last night, was really good! I read a very short edition of this first. A children's edition and I liked it so I moved onto the proper version. Very good and to be honest it is not written like the usual classics as the writing captured me.

tawallah's review

What an adventure!!! I'm glad I was challenged to read this book for August. I heard about this book but with no real urgency to read. And now I have met Phileas Fogg. Initially I thought him cold, methodical and passionless and then he made this seemly ridiculous bet for the sake of a bet. I chalked it up to eccentric Britishness. But the wanderlust in me is excited at the thought of traveling to these exotic lands, but Mr. Fogg seems unperturbed by the views. I am aghast and want to slap him silly. Until we reach India and he meets Anouda. From here on in, I start to like him and see this book differently. Like Passepartout, Anouda and poor Mr. Fix I too start to be mesmerized. I want him to triumph against the odds.

In the end, this has been my favourite book for the month of August. Why? I learn not to judge too quickly. From Mr. Fogg, I am impressed by his patience and how calm he remains in the face of odds stacked against him, how he places high value on the life of Aouda(oppressed by society she lives in and has to live up to crazy expectations) and his servant Passepartout. Lessons I definitely need to master.