Reviews for Partners in Crime, by Agatha Christie

AnaW's review

This is a very funny book, as Tommy and Tuppence in each case pretend to be famous crime detectives with all the details that make them recognisable and even her own Poirot is there.

chloe🧸💌🎀's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? N/A

UGH LOVE THESE TWO

vinayakmalik's review

Fast paced, bite sized an easy 2 day read

ZanyAnomaly's review

Each mystery is distinct from its predecessor...I don't know how Agatha Christie managed to think of so many plots!

rosale.mons's review

mysterious fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

loony_lucy's review

Not as good as the first as all the cases began to feel monotonous. Still a wonderful quick read. Love the dynamic between a tommy and Tuppence.

whimsicalmeerkat's review

Tommy & Tuppence are just fun.

bookish.brooklyn's review

Full review here: https://brooklynthebooklover.wordpress.com

Normally I'm not one for short stories. Agatha Christie's always prove to be an exception.

Tommy and Tuppence are one of my favourite fictional couples: their friendly banter is delightful and it is always such fun as they constantly bounce off one another. They hold each other in the highest regard and I love them all the more for it.

Each one of these stories were as good as the previous one; filled with excitement and intrigue. From A Fairy in The Flat / A Pot of Tea where we see them being placed in The International Detective Agency, to the Case of The Missing Lady, which references Arthur Conan Doyle's The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax.

Like any good short story collection, Agatha Christie collectively provides a plot which ties the stories together effortlessly.

These are highly entertaining reads, and the references to Poirot and Hastings made me chuckle. Easily recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a light, entertaining crime fiction read.

Nnecatrix's review

Book #5 for 2016
PopSugar Challenge Categories:
- A book set in Europe
- A book that takes place on an island
- A classic from the 20th century
Personal Challenge Categories:
- A book set in a capital city
- A book set on an island
- A book featuring Scotland Yard

Like The Big Four, this is a collection of short stories that were previously published in magazines and share a larger story arc about espionage. This book, however, is far more coherently organized and features Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, who are more naturally suited to the spy-thriller genre. They also play off of each other in a manner that is more rewarding than the Poirot/Hastings relationship. Tommy and Tuppence have always been my favorite Christie sleuths, so it's no surprise that I enjoyed this immensely.

Another interesting feature of this collection is that Christie used Tommy, Tuppence, and their young assistant Albert to explore the methods of other classic detectives, including Poirot. Of course, I have read plenty of Poirot and Holmes as well as some Thorndyke, and I think I've even read a Father Brown. Though I suppose it couldn't hurt to re-visit Father Brown, since it was apparently very long ago and did not make a lasting impression on me. I must admit I am a little disappointed in myself that I'd never even heard of some of the other sleuths mimicked in this collection. So you will probably see me adding the following to my reading list in the near future: Desmond Okewood, Tommy McCarty, Thornley Colton, Edgar Wallace, The Old Man in the Corner, Inspector Hanaud, Inspector French, Roger Sheringham, and Dr Fortune. It should make for an interesting study.

I also like that this book gives an interesting look at the culture of 1920s London through the eyes of an adventurous and witty young couple. If you enjoy the London-based storylines in Downton Abbey, you are sure to find this book a real treat.

AliciaMae's review

2.0

Normally I dislike short story collections, but this one suited me just fine. What really shines through isn't the crime stories, but the relationship of Tommy and Tuppence. And their adopting various famous literary detectives' style really was quite funny. Agatha Christie's writing doesn't usually make me laugh, but this book definitely did.