Reviews for To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Teddy HD's review

Pretty great book. Hated reading it in 7th grade, but loved it in 9th.

birdseedbaby's review

Is this the original white saviour story?

Pretty boring and generic honestly, I'm surprised this is regarded as one of the greatest novels of all time??? The writing and characters are serviceable, but nothing special. I get the themes of racism were good for the time, but I don't know how privileged you'd have to be to read this today and only just realise that racism is bad and people are prejudiced. It just doesn't hold up nowadays.

Heidi Bird's review

It’s To Kill a Mockingbird...

Maps28's review

So, I finished reading this beautiful classic, for the second time. It’s a deep, fascinating and inspirational story that everybody should read. But it's sad that the injustices and racism described here are still prevalent now, 60 years after this book was published. There is still so much to be done, and to fight for.
"Atticus, he was real nice.'"

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them."

sarah.wilkes's review

The ending wasn't so bad and it actually taught me a lot about life.

elif's review

2.0

middle school?

NC's review

This audio book blew me out of the water. This is a very powerful book on many levels. I loved it as a kid and loved it even more this time. Sissy Spacek is the perfect reader for this wonderful book. I highly recommend listening to this edition even if you have already read it. You will find even more depth in this truly great novel.

moonbeamparis's review

reflective medium-paced

3.5

Roz (Journey through Books)'s review

2017 Review:
I really enjoyed teaching TKAM this year. Although the class is a generally very quiet and unresponsive class, this book inspired them to participate and express themselves. In South Africa, this book is very relevant, and my wonderfully mixed class loved the discussions that grew from this reading. Alas, next year, I no longer have a choice in setwork books, so this will be the last time I teach TKAM in years.

The more often I read this, the better it gets. Although it is a long book to get through during class, there are memorable characters between the covers and some really important themes to be explored.

joymi's review

The writing just puts me in the shoes of a nine year old girl. The writing... I want more! Next stop, Go set a watchman.