Reviews for Pandora, by Anne Rice

whimsicalmeerkat's review

I feel more nostalgic when I think of this book than anything else.

jandi's review

2.0

Read it in Spanish. The best books of the series were the first ones; at this point, the series got really repetitive, and over the top.

danperlman's review

I read the book that started this whole enterprise (and pretty much the whole genre of vampire stories in its modern incarnation), Interview with a Vampire, so many years ago I barely remember it. This one just popped across my reading stack as a last minute something that someone had left a paperback in a hotel room and I picked it up and started in on it. Not my favorite genre of reading, but an enjoyable and relatively quick read, so thumbs up, but not enough to grab me to run back to more of the books.

Dmtcer's review

I just re-read this book. Anne Rice writing is something to behold. Her stories are captivating..I must admit, though, I sometimes get lost in the time-scheme of things and I find myself thinking, wait; I thought that was just one day, when in actuality it was many weeks.

arnrockwell's review

challenging dark informative fast-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

Pandora is the first book in the New tales of the Vampires sub-series of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. A short novel that serves as the origin story of Pandora, a character previously namedropped in The Vampire Lestat and first appeared as a character in The Queen of the Damned. David Talbot approaches Pandora in a cafe, and leaves behind a notebook and pen in the hopes that she will record her life story. She does of course, since we have this book.

Pandora was born in Rome during the reign of Augustus and grew up in a privileged noble family. It is through her words we learn of the multiple encounters she had with Marius, some from even before he became a vampire. We learn of what life was like for a woman in Ancient Rome. We watch as she loses her home and goes into hiding under an alias (which is why she came up with the name "Pandora" in the first place).

While the first half of the book had a lot of content, the latter half was more slim. The pacing was a little took fast and it glossed over large portions of Pandora's life as a vampire. Don't get me wrong. It was good to learn about how her life was as a human, but I read books for the vampire goodness and there wasn't a whole lot of that.

Overall, I would recommend Pandora for those curious about the character, those who love historical vampire tales, and those who want a nice quick read. It just over 300 pages, and that's wish a larger-than-normal font for a mass market paperback. A breeze to get through.

iiRenity's review

This made me think of it as a companion to Blood & Gold. When I was organizing my books, I actually placed this one straight after the other. I know everyone has their own order in which the Vampire Chronicles should be read, and this was where I began altering it for my own benefit. Good, not as great as Blood & Gold, but still good. It coincided very well with the story of Marius, but it did not have a very "memorable" impression on me. Even now, I'm struggling remembering all the details of the book, and those that I do come across, I am half-certain that they were relayed from the earlier chapters of Blood & Gold. No telling, but still I remembered being very pleased when I had finished reading it.

wolfie's review

The story of a minor character in the vampire chronicles

sophie's review

Anne Rice has a tendency to be a bit too rambly, but still tells an interesting tale.

Ava Lichti's review