Reviews for Agatha Christie: An Autobiography, by Robert Welch Herrick, Agatha Christie

bookish.brooklyn's review

"What can I say at seventy-five? Thank God for my good life, and for all the love that has been given to me."

Simply one of the greatest autobiographies ever written. Set in 11 parts, or XI as they are written, this autobiography was like an exclusive invite to afternoon tea with Dame Agatha Christie, where she was recounting such an incredible life. From growing up in Ashfield to her archeological adventures with her second husband Max Mallowan, this is a must read for any Dame Agatha devotee, or anyone who's interested in a life story.

WishfullyReading's review

Rating: 4.8 stars

I believe that Christie's autobiography showcases the best traits of Christie's writing. [b:An Autobiography|16301|An Autobiography|Agatha Christie|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1396228839s/16301.jpg|3038860] has an abundance of wit and engaging conversations that make each page a delight to read. Christie transports us back in time, alongside her childhood and later life. Her journeys are incredible! I would recommend this even to people who only read fiction, and I believe it is a must read for fans of her novel.
I especially loved the first section, were Christie is a child at Ashfield. That first part of her autobiography is filled with longing. I got a deep sense of nostalgia while reading.
Lovely and charming, Christie is bound to entertain!

swdancer's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing slow-paced

elizabethchoi's review

inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

I loved this insight into her life, and also how she carefully thought about style and narrative framing even when writing an autobiography! My copy is now completely full of post-it notes because this inspired me so much! Would recommend for anyone interested in writing, or just looking for an insight into her brain!

mwgerard's review

A lovely look at an interesting life.

Please read my complete review here:

Maria D's review

Really liked this. Christie lived a fascinating life during a time of turbulent change (Victorians, WW1,1920s, WW2, onwards to the 70s). There are some dull bits as with any autobiography but these are vastly outweighed by the little interesting details Christie explains so well.

Oliwija's review

Intressant bok, även om jag visste flera delar om hennes liv, var det roligt att få en mer "intim" inblick av hennes liv från hennes egen synpunkt och även hur hennes karriär som författare startade och fortsatte.

meenakshimadhavan's review

One of the best author's autobiographies I've ever read.

funktious's review

I visited Greenway a few years ago and decided that even though I've never read any of her books, Agatha Christie's autobiography would surely be a very entertaining one as she led such a varied life. And I was right, I thoroughly enjoyed this; a really readable account of a period of history I've always found interesting and a person I wanted to know more about.

Motsinsatiables's review

C'est fou ce que l'on peut faire durant toute une vie quand on a de l'ambition, et les moyens de mener à terme ses projets.
Si j'ai préféré le premier volume, cette autobiographie est, dans son ensemble, vraiment très riche en... en tout.