Reviews for Every Tool's a Hammer: Life Is What You Make It, by Adam Savage

JessieL's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

obviousthings's review

funny informative inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

4.5

MyNameRhymes's review

I was a big Mythbusters fan and really enjoyed that Adam Savage read the audiobook here. It's a good mix of stories about making stuff, life advice, and practical tips. Great for people who are really passionate about their projects. But I'm not sure if this one will really stick with me, since I'm not regularly making things. If you do, you'll probably enjoy this even more.

lathammatt's review

2.0

I admire Adam Savage for his creativity, enthusiasm, skills, passion, and humor. If you watch any of his shows, you can sense all of that in this book. Still, it feels a bit unorganized or at least not quite structured in a way that makes a good read. It's a great book of tips for makers and designers and it has some fun stories about some of his past builds. I just found myself wishing he had maybe gone over one build in each chapter and concluded with all he learned instead of jumping back and forth between jobs for related experiences to demonstrate his lesson (although that fits with his excited nature). A bunch of these lessons I had heard before from Mythbusters and Tested. I skipped over the section detailing the pros and cons of different kinds of glue even though it is useful for makers. I loved how he finished with a book on cleaning the shop - a nice fitting ending. I was a little weirded out with him mentioning 'his friend Max Landis' after all the bad news about him that came out this year.

aFrugalFather's review

Part life story part ode to all makers and creatives everywhere. This in an enjoyable read and should inspire nerds everyone to follow their passions when it comes to creating and sharing with the world.

hazmat's review

I needed this to finish my props homework

dehowell's review

Delightful end-to-end. Even if you're not into in Mythbusters—and I'm only a middling fan—there's a lot to like here. This book is more of a mid-career retrospective on what Savage has learned about how to do generalist work across a wide-ranging set of messy projects.

If I didn't have the ebook, I'd put this on the shelf next to [b:An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth|18170143|An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth|Chris Hadfield|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1380495144l/18170143._SY75_.jpg|25488999] and [b:Everything in Its Place|33609170|Everything in Its Place The Power of Mise-En-Place to Organize Your Life, Work, and Mind|Dan Charnas|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1492920016l/33609170._SY75_.jpg|46061422].

Nelson's review

funny reflective medium-paced

MsJones's review

This book is quite possibly one of the most inspirational texts I have ever read. Adam Savage has been a long time icon in my life, someone I have looked up to, and someone who has been a constant source of inspiration. I listened to this book with my husband in the car, and it made everything about long drives so much more pleasurable and enlightening. This book is filled with the story of Adam coming to who he is now, with anecdotes that taught him hard lessons along the way - all with in mind what it means to be a maker and how important it is to do what you need to do to be the most successful. I highly recommended this book to anyone - this book paired with 'Girl, Stop Apologizing was what got me out of my post-graduation depression. Thank you, Adam. For everything in the past 20 some years.

sparkythesnarky's review

This book started off so well, and Savage gave me a lot to think about. I will mention that while I did not finish, I got two-thirds of the way through before it became more practical advice that was less and less relevant to me. I finally had to set it down.
I think for a maker that does more physical work, the rest of the book would be more relevant. If you're like me and do more abstract making, such as writing or other things on the computer, the first third to a half of the book is still relevant.