Reviews for Evil Under the Sun, by Agatha Christie

rabbitprincess's review

This was certainly a very quick read, and Agatha pulled all the strings masterfully as usual. A very clever sleuthing job by our Poirot -- I certainly did not see it coming. When he was laying out his solution, it was as if the events leading up to the murder were a painting and he was slowly tilting it until it had been tipped 180 degrees. From there the perspective changed completely.

The characters were the standard Agatha types, and I was kind of disappointed with how one character's thread was tied up (it's on the very last page), so that is why this book remains a three-star instead of being one of those "three-star-but-an-extra-star-for-the-crackerjack-solution" Agathas. Still, it's recommended if you like Poirot, Agatha or light mysteries set in the hot summer sun. A good antidote to winter.

untitled.reader's review

Another successful mystery from Dame Agatha Christie! Hercule Poirot goes on vacation, but there is evil under the sun and before long his holiday is disturbed by death and a new case to solve.

Once again I did not come close to being able to guess the ending. The setting was great, a remote beach hotel which made me want to go on vacation (even though I don't like being in the sun lol). Some fairly interesting characters as well! This book seemed to have less humorous moments than others, which was unfortunate as I really look forward to that. But the plot was very intriguing and I was very satisfied by the ending!

This was also the first time I've used highlight tabs in a fiction book and it was really useful for this kind of story. I used different colors to mark funny lines, interesting quotes, and clues that I picked up on. It really helped me keep track of the characters and story, so I'll be doing it again for my next Agatha Christie!

_jackiefu's review

I thought this was quite a good one from Agatha Christie! She sets the plot of this novel up nicely, and there was a nice group of people. I was genuinely surprised at the ending, even though I am rather good at guessing a lot of the times towards the end. However, I did feel that perhaps some parts were revealed a little awkwardly and I don't know if I was being stupid and wasn't reading it properly, or did the magenta wool end up no mattering at all? To me, this was definitely better than the two other recent books I read- Sad Cypress and Appointment With Death. I felt this one had more colour to it and overall, was just a really wholesome read!

emik13's review

added for posterity, but don't remember enough to review it.

Bella Rose's review

mysterious medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? No

3.75

SammyWhammy's review

Not my favourite, but it is still pretty compelling.

lil's review

mysterious

3.5

bookish.brooklyn's review

Can't say I guessed this one correctly. My little grey cells need fine tuning, it seems. But all in all a fabulous read with an intriguing set of supporting characters and a very intriguing mystery at its core.

AnendoDe's review

This is one of the best Poirot story. This could give a very tight competition to Sherlock Holmes.