Reviews for Postern of Fate, by Agatha Christie

LDV's review

2.0

A mystery written for a different era -- there's very little actual sleuthing in this one and a LOT of slow-paced conversation about the mystery. Repetitive and slow conversations! Ugh. Not suitable for audio, not very intriguing, and not very plausible to solve a mystery that's 40 or 50 years old with very little actual evidence. Take a pass .

vinayakmalik's review

The final novel , Read it just for the closure.

ZanyAnomaly's review

A puzzling ending to the Tommy & Tuppence series..I just didnt find the ending quite amusing although the story was excellent! Only Christie could think up such a unique storyline :)

bookish.brooklyn's review

I've read all of the Tommy and Tuppence books now *cries* . They'll always be my favourite married sleuths. I just adore Tommy's tender and caring nature to Tuppence (and how he worries) and Tuppence is just so sassy. This is an amazing, fabulous read that had me engrossed at every page :)

Nnecatrix's review

2.0

I have been an Agatha Christie fan since I was about 8 years old. I love Tommy and Tuppence. So this final T&T novel makes for a poignant ending to Dame Agatha's literary career. It is interesting from the standpoint that it seems to be set in the author's childhood home, but it's a meandering reminiscence that really doesn't go anywhere and leaves readers scratching their heads.

Book #2 for 2010.

Darling Farthing's review

1.0

Remaining invested in a mystery whilst not even knowing the suspects is... taxing, to say the least.

Tommy and Tuppence are a very nice couple, but their interactions get dry after a while, and Tommy’s interactions with his various contacts in particular were rather tiresome. Many interactions in this book also felt rather meaningless. Not even the concluding chapter saves the novel - truth to be told, nothing is really revealed, and nothing slips into place. There is no satisfaction in a mystery without epiphanies on the part of the detectives.

It is certainly true that Christie wasn’t exactly in her prime when she wrote this novel. However, that does not change the novel’s quality.

AliciaMae's review

Story-wise, no I don't think this is a four star story. But my enjoyment of the book was four stars, so I'm letting that influence my rating. Bill Wallis is an excellent narrator. And for such a dialogue heavy book as this one, I think hearing it puts "Postern of Fate" to its very best advantage versus reading it. Tommy and Tuppence continue to be a great team, and I really do love how Christie followed them into old age.

The timeline of the story did confuse me a bit-- they were looking into "very old things, well before their time" but it sounded as if what they were investigating happened around WWI. Now, "The Secret Adversary," the first Tommy & Tuppence book occurs just after WWI, in which Tommy had been in the army, and Tuppence had served as a nurse. So the events of WWI/that time were not well before them. Unless I misunderstood it, and the era Mary Jordan harkens from is more like the 1890s.

Most of all, I enjoyed the musings of old age, loss of memory, etc. that this book prompted. Christie captured that exceedingly well, perhaps made all the more poignant as she herself was struggling with her memory. Additionally, the depiction of the dog, Hannibal, is really something wonderful.

mwgerard's review

Read my full review here: http://cineastesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/08/classic-review-postern-of-fate-by.html

amy the book bat's review

This one was not my favorite. I dozed off during a section of it and had to relisten. I'm not entirely sure I got everything I should have. Maybe I'll try again another time, but there are so many others to read first.

lottelikesbooks's review

2.0

2.5/5. Probably my least favourite Christie I've read yet (and I've read/listened to almost all of them). Christie's old age (she was over 80 when she wrote this) really shows in this book as some things don't really add up in the end. Tommy and Tuppence were great as always though.