Reviews for Ahsoka, by E.K. Johnston

sp_13's review

First book of 2017!!

So Ahsoka Tano is one of my favourite Star Wars characters, (Obi-Wan is my all time favourite) so naturally I was super excited to get my hands on this book.
The beginning was slow, but as the book goes forward it really starts to pick up the pace. I had so many intense feelings, especially when certain familiar names appeared. The way Ahsoka dealt with her grief felt so natural, and she was pretty much in character.
Overall, this book was really good and I really enjoyed it!

lbninthecorner's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? N/A
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

lukeskyfoos's review

I enjoyed it. Definitely for fans who have watched Clone Wars and Rebels. If you haven't, you'll miss out on some references that are...sort if heavily leaned on. It was fun to read though, and my wife liked it even if she didn't get all the references. Also definitely a YA novel...storyline was kept pretty simple. Felt like some cuts had been made that left holes in understanding at different points.

Han Solo's review

hag.o.hags's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

Crystallinegirl's review

I've been wanting to read this novel for a long time, as Ahsoka Tano is my favorite character from the Clone Wars cartoon, and second-favorite in the entire Star Wars series. (Because General Leia exists.) I picked the book up at a used book store in Oregon when we went home from the holidays, but I've just had so many other things to read. I finally read it for May 4th, Star Wars Day.

I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I've read another book by Johnston, That Inevitable Victorian Thing, which I enjoyed but thought was too fluffy. And comparing this to the last Star Wars book I read - Phasma - this tilts that way too. It's not as fluffy as TIVT - people die, and the Empire is the ever-looming possible doom that it always is - but it just didn't feel as gritty as Phasma did. Perhaps it shouldn't; Phasma is a villain, and her backstory is suitably dark. And Ahsoka, here, is floundering a little in the wake of Order 66, and being alive when none of her compatriots, to her knowledge, are.

I did enjoy learning how she got her lightsabers back, and the story should lead well into the Rebels cartoon, which I have yet to watch.

So I don't know. It was an entertaining book, and it was effective at furthering Ahsoka's story, it just...wasn't quite what I wanted.

You can find all my reviews at Goddess in the Stacks.

Lady Mab's review

adventurous hopeful fast-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? It's complicated
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

Keeping with my trend of post-Clone Wars content, of COURSE I had to pick up a book about Ahsoka to see what she got up to after Order 66.  It was so perfectly in-line for her, that it was easy to just imagine her straight out of the show and onto the pages! And while the Inquisitor wasn't nearly as terrifying, reading this after playing Jedi: Fallen Order and seeing what a powerful enough Inquisitor is capable of just made his presence more.

nausicaa's review

• Strong character development? No

Eggatha's review

The sound effects and other noises took some getting used to. I guess that is a Star Wars audiobook thing? I liked the story a lot.

JamieTheRebelliousReader's review

4 stars. Hi, I’m just here to tell you that if you are not reading E.K. Johnston’s Star Wars books you need to be. They are action packed and fun. Ahsoka is a bad ass character and I love her actual character development in the Clone Wars and Rebels. Obviously, given that this was just a 400 paged book the development was nowhere near that level but I think the author stuck pretty closely to her character. I liked the side characters as well and the ending left it pretty open so hopefully there will be another book following Ahsoka and her adventures.