Reviews for Cat Among the Pigeons, by Agatha Christie

mysterious fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

libraryofalexandria's review

Middle East + murder while remaining in the classic British mystery setting. Great read.

rabbitprincess's review

Even though Poirot doesn't show up until page 134, this is still a very good story. If you've read any of Enid Blyton's boarding school series (Malory Towers, St. Clare's), they may be in your mind when you read about Meadowbank, the school in this book, except for the fact that Blyton's schoolmistresses don't get murdered. A total of three die over the course of the book, and the motive is tied in with exotic jewels that have been smuggled out of a revolution-torn country in the Middle East. The story is really interesting (and the Middle Eastern flavour adds a nice touch to this book) and the final twist was particularly ingenious. Well worth a read.

emik13's review

added for posterity, but don't remember enough to review it.

Rim (rimbluebooks)'s review

mysterious fast-paced

2.0

This book was a Meh read for me which sth I didn't at all expect. I had high expectations for it but it didn't grip me like it should be or as I thought I should. I didn't feel actions or progress till i reached half of the book. Also Poirot appeared at the very end of the book maybe that's why I didn't quite feel this book. It almost put me in a reading slump 😱 but I survived it.
As far as the story goes, I think it was okay but I was not convinced by the character choice in other words the murderer felt really flat and unnoticeable for me, i felt like this was not Agatha's best murderers if I may say 🤔 I think I would have been more satisfied and happy with the book if someone else was the murderer maybe

Over all I gave this book a 2.5 stars 😞

gusiakos's review

mysterious tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

SonjaReader's review

Overall a very cozy book. I honestly enjoy Agatha’s work and I love how her books are far more interested in the mystery and setting the atmosphere than spilling guts. This murder is quite different in setting and it’s not my all time favorite, but I loved it! 3.5 stars from me.

WishfullyReading's review

★★★✰✰ 2.5 stars

This was one of my least favourite books by Agatha Christie. The beginning of [b:Cat Among the Pigeons|16342|Cat Among the Pigeons (Hercule Poirot, #34)|Agatha Christie|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1275665326s/16342.jpg|2728434] struck me as belonging in a spy/espionage novel rather than a detective novel. The characters were rather bland: some of the teachers had interchangeable personalities, the young girls were irritating and Poirot makes an appearance only after the half-way mark.
The dialogues lacked Christie's sharp wit and the mystery was downplayed.
Overall, I much preferred ITV's adaptation of this episode (they get rid of an unnecessary character and David Suchet aka Poirot is on the case from the get go).

pseudowoodo's review

Didn’t realize this was a Poirot book and was pleasantly surprised when he showed up most of the way through. The prior construction of the mystery wasn’t great though.

readingsugarbee's review