Reviews for A Living Nightmare, by Darren Shan

AnnaTheBookCritter's review

A little know series that has a unique concept. I have seen the books all the time at book sales and never give them a second thought until I sow the movie ‘The Vampire Assistant’. Which I did a movie review on.
The writing and characters are good. I like the unique spin on vampires. Hopefully get to learn more in the next book.

The book starts the series out strong. What I read from other reviews I was expecting more gore. I guess that comes later unless it a book by Robin Jarvis.
The story takes it time setting up the world and characters. You’re not throw in this world only given information about it in hints. There no overall arcing complex…yet.

ibeforem's review

This is a YA story, so it’s not going to be the vampire horror story you expect. There’s no vampire lust and limited blood here. Darren is a young boy who does young boy things... he plays soccer at lunch-time, he gets into trouble with his best friend, he covets a pet more than anything else... Until he has to make a more adult decision. His life, or his friend’s? I thought it was a good story (despite being a little heavy with exclamation points), and I’m going to read at least the next couple of books in the series to see where it goes.

Ema's review

Reread (listened) on audio. It must have been at least 15 years since my first read, and I don't think I reread more than once when I was younger. I was amazed by how much gender typing this did--there was a really cringey moment where Darren talks about how boys don't really talk about feelings and I thought NOOOOoooOOo don't tell the youth that! This was still super fun though and I think I'm about to commit to rereading this entire series because the last book was so mindblowing.

SpookyJane's review

3.5

I enjoyed this, but it was something of a set-up book, so it felt a tiny bit lacking for me (or maybe that's just because I'm reading it at a time where I know there are like 9 books in the series).

It was good overall though, creepy and fun, with great descriptions and bizarre oddities; and while the ending is a bit sad, I really liked the direction it went, and am looking forward to continuing the series. The audiobook was narrated extremely well, so I'll continue in that fashion as long as the library has each book.

Not really sure about the main character having the same name as the author, or what the aim was there... *shrug*

Claudias213's review

Very creative story and interesting, this book took my imagination to other worlds.

EmilyG's review

I originally read this series years ago but I’ve decided to re-read. It is so easy to get into due to how it is written and I’m still enjoying it second time around.

Book 1 of 12 Cirque du Freak introduces us to the main character, Darren Shan, and how he becomes involved in the world of vampires. A normal boy Darren loves his family and his a great group of friends at school. He is good at football and has a fascination for spiders. However this becomes part of how his world turns around. When the friends come across a flyer for the Cirque du Freak Darren and best friend Steve are amazed by what they see so amazed the Darren learns that Steve has a secret. It is a special spider though that gets Darren into trouble as he risks his life for it. Although things start of great for Darren his world drastically has to change in order to keep his loyalty to his friend something that later isn’t returned.

These books are very easy to read and I think as a one off I’m not sure I would have read them all. I have the trilogy collections however and it makes it a better read. The first book sets the scene for the series quite well and haven read the series before I am enjoying picking out the bit of information that are important later on.

amberinoface's review

March 2018: Still a refreshingly quick walk down memory lane, but I'm actually going to finish the series this time :P

April 2015: a refreshingly quick read and a nice walk down memory lane

gardant's review

2.0

Read this when it came out and unlike many other books, this is not one which I enjoy with the same zeal as I had when I was younger. The narrative style does not sound too erudite or cynical for a child, but errs in the other direction, which is even more unfortunate in my point of view. The best example of this is the abundance of exclamations and italics - I can imagine someone Darren's age writing that way, but the believability factor doesn't make it any less tiresome. Nonetheless, the horror elements of the story are well-played in comparison.

ArraSails's review

I never listened to the audiobook before and the voice acting was really good. As of now it's still available to listen to for free on audible.

marginaliant's review

Well, I didn't like it at first, but then it grew on me. Guess I've gotta order the next book now. Damn.