Reviews for A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story, by Linda Sue Park

tense medium-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

4.75

shelby.henson's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective sad fast-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? N/A

Kokie's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

3.5

I listened to this book before I had to teach it to my 6th graders. I rushed through it and still found the story enjoyable. I think it is a good starting place to talk about world politics for young people, but as an adult I didn't find the depth I would have wanted if I had read the book for myself.

Expand filter menu Collapse filter menu Content Warnings

Moderate: Death and Violence

Minor: Gun violence

Misread Meg's review

Absolute tear-jerker, must read for any age.

Emilyslittlebooknook's review

This book was very well written as far as describing the setting however I felt the plot was a bit repetitive at times . though it was also kind of inspiring to see what our man characters over came I also enjoyed the full cast narration and use of music . just wish some tjings like the over explanation of the journeys between camps were trimmed down a bit. 3/5 stars

Amarieb0926's review

A quick introduction to the Lost Children of Sudan that is informational, but encourages self research to learn more. I will be starting this book with my students this week!

4kids4me's review

This book is aimed at a middle school audience. My son read it and really liked it. He does not enjoy reading so after talking about the book with him, I decided to read it myself to see what drew him in. It does a good job exposing "first world" kids to problems that third world kids face in a way that they can comprehend without being too graphic, but realistic in a way that it should be. It's a very quick read and would encourage parents to read it and discuss with their kids.

hamida's review

emotional informative inspiring fast-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

Krista (booksandjams)'s review

I didn't love the narration of the audiobook of this book, until after the story was over and we heard a quick note from Salva. I have heard of the Lost Boys of Sudan and thought this story was told so well for a younger audience. The horrors that these refugees had to face could be pretty traumatic for young children, but this book addressed a lot of the realities Salva faced as walking his way to a refugee camp in Ethiopia. It was heartbreaking, but also showed the power of resilience, persistence and hope. Such a great read.

noninuna's review

This book follows two main characters, Nya and Salva. Nya is from a village where she needs to fetch water from a pond a few miles away. Salva is from a village in Southern Sudan where there's a civil war going on. While Nya's story always a little snippet, rarely over a page, the whole majority of the book will follow Salva. It is also a little mystery how both stories come together.

The writing is easy to absorb because this is targeted for younger readers but adult also will be able to empathize and understand what it feels like to be a refugee, running away from war/conflict. I've seen it often now in the news about Syria refugee for example but not until I read this that I actually realize what it meant to flee to a hopefully, but not guaranteed, a safer place. How heartbreaking to actually read about those who don't make it. But everything was really toned down in term of emotion because when I read it, I know it's sad but not enough "to pull any heart string".