Reviews for Sad Cypress, by Agatha Christie

zabeenee's review

Very odd. Very odd indeed. I swore I had never read this book before and yet a chapter in and I suddenly realized I knew the whole story. I wish my memory was this good when it came to other things.
Oh well, Peter Lord and Elinor are sweet together.

libraryofalexandria's review

This was such a great listen. At one point I thought Christie mistyped when the barrister said “Gentlemen of the jury” and that she had forgotten to write “ladies and gentlemen” and then I remembered that juries used to be solely made up of men and I cannot imagine anything more horrifying tbh.

rabbitprincess's review

* * 1/2

Montague Egg's review

lighthearted mysterious relaxing medium-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes

chloe🧸💌🎀's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated

lil's review

mysterious

3.25

fudgeelizabeth9's review

challenging funny lighthearted mysterious slow-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated
  • Loveable characters? No

Night Owl Reader's review

2.5 Stars

I enjoyed the story up to a point, but then it started to confuse me. I'm not sure if it's the way the story was told or what, but at the end, I couldn't keep the characters apart. This really made it difficult for the story to make sense later, it just got so confusing. At the end, it felt like too many revelations was happening, and too make names were mentioned, I just got too mixed up. I'm not even sure I understand how Hercule Poirot came to his conclusion.

I believe the first half of the book was as good as any Agatha Christie book, and her characters were different enough, many different personalities, but the second half of the book got very confusing very fast because too many revelations was happening. I think all the information coming to light at the second half of the book is what made the story a little confusing, this character did this, or that character said that, that character is hiding some because of this character, and that character found something, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I were to go back and reread it carefully, I may be able to finally understand the second half of the story better.

WishfullyReading's review

Rating: 4 Stars

With a mostly likeable cast of characters, Sad Cypress, makes for the perfect cozy mystery. As usual, Christie offers insights on human nature by writing of seemingly frivolous matters.