Reviews for I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Changed the World, by Patricia McCormick, Malala Yousafzai, Neela Vaswani

justabridge's review

I picked this up in my school library today, hence why it's the younger reader's version, but honestly I was hooked instantly. Malala has such a wonderful reflective voice, and the way she takes you through her life is just incredible.

The view of a country going through traumatic change is such a harrowing one, and I think it was made all the more hard hitting through the eyes of a child. Malala is such an inspirational person; her courage and her wisdom are really quite extraordinary. Everyone knows her story, but I don't think you quite get it until you read it in her own words.

I also really loved the interspersed cultural language throughout the book. Far too many people are islamophobic in the West and I think having Malala's faith (naturally, it being her life) so prominent will really help promote understanding.

Overall, a really powerful, hard hitting book that I think is really important for kids to read. It's an issue we all need to be more aware of, and I really want to get my hands on the adult version.

More...