Reviews for Furyborn, by Claire Legrand

Leah (Jane Speare)'s review

This is the start of an exciting trilogy! I really enjoyed it overall, only two things bugged me.

The short chapters switching POVs every single time. I think it would have been easier to get into if it switched every few chapters. It was hard to be yanked back and forth and reassess the time (since they are 1000 years apart) each time a chapter started.

More world building!!! It's very Rielle and Eliana focused which is great, but I also need more background on how their world was set up and how it was controlled.

Besides those minor things, I had a fun time reading it. I'm definitely intrigued for the next book! The second half moved a lot faster.

Bookphenomena (Micky) 's review

1.0

DNF @38%

I’m throwing in the towel on FURYBORN after trying to read for over two weeks and not getting very far. Sometimes I don’t rate a DNF but I feel strongly about this one, so I’m giving myself licence for rating.

My difficulties with the book were two-fold. Firstly, the differing POVs that were centuries apart and seemingly tenuously connected for too long. That impeded my connection with the story, giving it a fractured feel. Secondly, there was far too much keeping the reader in the dark. Examples are: names and powers for beings not explained; I felt permanently in the dark. I’m a fan of show not tell, but some telling really was warranted here. The writing style was difficult to assimilate.

I tried to push on but I was just not invested and this book/series isn’t for me.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

joareads's review

I can't believe I have waited so long to read this -I got this ARC in a Fairyloot box but I put off reading it because I thought the premise didn't sound that gripping. How wrong I was! I was hooked from the first chapter; the story theb rewinds itself to show the events building up to it from the perspectives of two brilliant characters: Rielle and Eliana. I think my favourite was Eliana overall who was such a fiery and awesome character to follow.

I absolutely loved the idea of angels being the villains in this story and one such angel was just a wicked delight to read about - I thoroughly enjoyed their part in this book. It has left me totally intrigued for the next one and I eagerly await to see where the story goes.

There's plenty of action, drama and tension I'm this book. There were times I wanted to skip Rielle's chapters to get to Eliana and vice versa! I think there was a good amount of pages devoted to both of their stories and it did make for a page-turning read. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

paledaughter's review

2.0

I DID IT. I finally finished. RTC.

description

acouplereadss's review

Be prepared to open this book and be catapulted into a brand new world! Seriously buckle your seat belt because right off the bat you have to be ready or you’ll fall out of your seat. If you’re a fan of alternating point of views you’ll really enjoy Furyborn. Each chapter switches between the past and future with two characters that intertwine. There’s magic. There’s suspense. There’s action.

I enjoyed Furyborn and really loved the concept. I’m always a fan of those “anti-heroes” and am always looking for my next fave villain. In Furyborn the author put a spin on those concepts and showed us not all is black and white. Definitely pick up a copy for yourself if you’re looking for a new fantasy obsession!

**Thank you a thousand times Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a copy of the ARC in exchange for an honest review.**

charleighreads's review

adventurous dark mysterious sad medium-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? N/A
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

madarauchiha's review

❤️ 🧡 💛  💚  💙 💜  my about info carrd: https://uchiha-madara.carrd.co/ 💜  💙 💚 💛 🧡❤️

I tried, I really did. But the lady giving birth and then waltzing around like nothing happened and than random timeskips and ehh ehh this is a series? I can't bring myself to care enough to finish the book much less the series in order to get a satisfying conclusion. Especially about generic white fantasy worlds. Pass.

forsakenfates's review

This book was unique I will give it that. But the timeline was hard to follow at first and it was almost always very abrupt switches between the two characters of Rielle and Eliana. I definitely enjoyed Eliana’s story more, however I can see how the past and Rielle’s story was important (to an extent). That being said after thinking about it some, this book literally had nothing happen. Sure there was some action and figuring things out but it was all setup and information dumping. Overall, this book just was not for me and I do not think I will be continuing because I just did not connect enough with the characters to truly care what happens next.

esabetta's review

So, the first time I read this book, I gave it 5 stars. Now the second time, it’s at 3.5. I didn’t like Eliana’s pov the first time but I think it grew on me the second time around and I don’t think I like Rielle as much the second time as I did the first.

HaydenJules's review

There was a lot going on in this book and I honestly loved all of it. Everything was written so well, I really enjoyed this book. The two storylines were fantastic in their own ways, and brilliantly woven together. I loved the cliffhangers between the chapters, I feel like they were expertly done. I loved the world building and the characters of these two stories were so good. I think that this story was exciting and refreshing, I look forward to the next two books in this trilogy!