Reviews for The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

• Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

I had the misfortune of finding myself in a hospital waiting room for 6 hours but thankfully on my way out of my front door I picked up this book. A book that I knew little about, written by a new-to-me author that turned out to be the perfect length for my 6 hour wait. It was also so compelling that those 6 hours were actually enjoyable and flew by.

The Sun Is Also A Star is essentially a romance, an innocent but mature and intense romance that takes place in just one day between teenagers on the brink of college applications. One a Jamaican born undocumented immigrant with a passion for science, observable facts and multiverses, thenothernan American born Korean poet in love with love, fate and destiny.

This beautiful romance is also a vehicle for exploration of complex and powerful themes. Nicola Yoon's blending of these many issues, layers and challenges with the emotions of 'what is meant to be' and first love is seemless.

The weight of cultural expectation, the power of racial identity, the burden of stereotypes, the empowerment in choice and opportunity, the realisation of who you're parents are beyond their roles as parents, the American dream. Self realisation, self control, self esteem and letting yourself go.

This book is a wonderful whirlwind of pure fiction and an intelligent insight into the real lived experiences of first and second generation immigrants.

Expand filter menu Collapse filter menu Content Warnings

Graphic: Racism, Sexual content, and Suicidal thoughts

That Readhead's review

I love how their were little breaks in the story to hear little random facts about history and culture and other things. And how we also got information from the minor characters POV. It all added perfectly to the story. I did find myself tearing up twice though: once when they were with the security guard who smoked. I teared up when we had his POV about his wife who died just after retirement, and the sentence 'saving up for our lives to go on a cruise to see the Northern Lights. Always waiting for the right time, not spending our money, and what for'. I'm almost tearing up again now remembering it. It's so true. What for! Half the time there never even is a 'right time'. Just do it when you want, because it's worth that little bit of happiness. And the other time Daniel talking about how his heart would be ripped out of his chest at the airport :(
When we initially learnt about the background of both MCs, I was shocked. Such diverse characters, such harsh parents and cultures. If Daniel's family is so Korean-based, then why not move back to Korean. Stop trying to keep their culture alive in a place that isn't accommodating for it. It's something that I feel strongly about. If you're in a foreign country, live their way, respect how things could change.
I have to say I can't believe that that's the end of the story. If not for the Epilogue I would be incredibly dissatisfied. I am very happy that they managed to find each other in the end.

theowlerybooks's review

That ending was not what I expected but that epilogue man, soooo good!! I did get a little boring about 3/4 in but it picked right back up and I loved it!

rina-p's review

My first immediate thought: the idea is quite similar to the movie 'Before Sunrise' (1995). I can see how the concept would feel completely fresh and new to the young adults who haven't seen the movie.

Nicola Yoon takes a cliche insta-love story and implements it really well. As a proud member of We Need Diverse Books campaign, it is no surprise that Nicola creates a story about a Jamaican girl and a Korean boy (Nicola's husband, David, is also of Korean descendant), which is such a breath of fresh air.

I really love the snippets of different point of views throughout the book, which provide good contrast to the main young adult characters' point of views that could be very centred to their own world. I also love the musings in between chapters, such as the one about language dissection (irie) and the history of things. Love the minor characters as well - I want to know more!

Overall, I feel the story contract (two teenagers having insta-love over the span of a day) and expand (discussions about how universe works, what is fair/unfair, immigration deportation issue, how a day can feel long and years can feel short) at the same time. I love it.

Micha's review

This is how you do an insta love story.

jesslovestype's review

2.0

Here we go again. Jess hates the it book of the season. The peripherals were far more interesting than the romance (yay diversity, etc)--I guess I just like it better when my characters aren't so self-aware of the fact that they're falling in love?

livinglifeliterary's review

I read this book in one day on the train and it was so magical, realistic, funny, and sad. I am one of those people who thinks everything happens for a reason so reading how easily everyone in the world intertwines is such a wonderful concept. Natasha and Daniel are such believable characters, who anyone can relate to, and their one day in New York city is both heartbreaking and beautiful. This book is for hopeless romantics and skeptics alike. I think the only thing that wasn't realistic in this book was how Natasha and Daniel only had one moment of MTA service interruption- we all know an average New Yorker has at least 3 different train interruptions in one day.

Sloph's review

This book followed two very different people and their very different journeys, at two very important parts of their lives. The characters very really interesting and were great to follow them throughout their day. I also really enjoyed the snapshots of other people in the story, and what they are dealing will at that point in the story. I also liked the small snippets of history or the meaning of something, I thought that it really added to the story.

Veronika's review

Ich glaube, das hier reiht sich unmittelbar in die Riege der Lieblingsbücher ein.

DanaBrown's review

I can’t fairly write my opinion. I’m way too old and cynical to enjoy this story. How it got on my TBR I’ll never know. Anyway, I read 3/4 of the book then skimmed to the end.