Reviews for Bad Science, by Ben Goldacre

patchworkbunny's review

The message here is, don't blindly believe the media. It's quite shocking at how much rubbish has been made up by the media around medicine in recent years. Whilst I'm not a big newspaper reader (I sometimes get them at the weekend to read the 'arts' sections), I'm definitely going to have to do more digging when I hear a health story that interests me.

I like Dr Ben's style of writing, there are a few laugh out loud moments, but beware that there is quite a lot of sections where you need your brain turned on. It's not really a read in one go type of book either, unless you're a real geek, I liked dipping in for a few chapters at a time.

numberstitcher's review

I loved this book and everybody should read it - brilliant insight into medical articles and research!

CharlotteBurns's review

In Bad Science, Goldacre debunks some of myths surrounding popular science and its presentation in mainstream media. He takes on (amongst other things) detoxing, "Brain gym", cosmetics, homeopathy, science representation in the media, inadequate case evidence, health scares and (my personal favourite chapter) Gillian McKeith and other nutritionists. Goldacre highlights inadequate clinical trials, false claims, and bad science practices. He often offers practical experiments that readers can use at home to prove his points. Goldacre makes science accessible to all in a humorous and informative book. It has made me more aware of these issues and more critical of news items relating to science and health. I am keen to read his other book "Bad Pharma" now.

Manisha Kerai's review

An interesting read and I understand Goldacre's anger, but the tone that he takes is arrogant and it grates. The immunisation chapter was the best and most interesting for me.

Cheri_Maci's review

Well written accessible book which makes one question want is published as science in the media.

lila's review

The true cost of something is what you give up to get it.

misskendralove's review

One of the best books I've read in a while. Filled with snarky commentary yet backed up by a colossal amount of information. I think this book is written for everyone, not just the scientifically inclined. If nothing, it will make you look at the world with a more critical eye.

Camelia Rose's review

In Bad Science, Ben Glodacre diligently debunks pseudo-science, fake doctors and fraudulent medical claims, fires at headline-chasing tabloid medias and journalists who lack the basic understanding of statistics and scientific trainings or who intentionally mislead their readers. The chapter, "Why Clever People Believe in Stupid Things", explains the side affect of human mind's powerful pattern recognition, the mind's tendency towards various forms of bias and how these neurological traits can make us vulnerable.

The edition I read was published in 2008. The world has not changed much - there are people still believing in MMR vaccination causing autism and the fraudulent "experts" exposed in the book still fooling around in our world.

I do find the book needs better editing. Nevertheless, it is an important book, very informative. Everyone should read it.

Highly recommended.

jspotter's review

I'm not going to finish this book. Had to return it to the library and have no motivation to check it out again.

foreverday's review

Very informative. The writing could be a little dry at times but that may be due to the data it contained.
Warnings: Minor cussing.