Reviews for The Complete Maus, by Art Spiegelman

MyLiminality's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

Chyse's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective medium-paced

3.5

ineffablebob's review

This is a collection of the Maus stories, where Spiegelman's character tells the story of his father's Holocaust experience. But it's not just about the history, but also the effect that experience had on his father's life and what it means in the current day. Extremely well written and a great read.

Naddy's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

Davina's review

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring reflective sad tense

subsubmarina's review

dark informative reflective fast-paced

Rachel Elizabeth's review

I knew to expect horror and death and depression from this tale, but it is so much more than that. It is a struggle of understanding between a son and father, a reflection of a man pre-during-and post-war, and a quiet personal narrative of a horrible experience. It is about survival and guilt and remembrance. I loved this book and thought it handled a violent topic that is quite overdone in a new, interesting, and very personal way. I loved the inclusion of the frame in the story and getting the chance to see what a son of a Holocaust survivor must deal with himself. Overall it is a valuable read and I think everyone should give it a chance.

BerlinBibliophile's review

This is an incredibly affecting graphic novel. After I finished it, I just sat there for a while, still reeling from the impact.
The cartoons themselves are relatively simple, but the story they tell is anything but, and the contrast between Vladek's story and Art's present allows the reader to confront the horror of the Holocaust without becoming so lost in the terror that they can't continue.

antaraghosh's review

War stories are not my favourite but this book has such a different approach. I'm sure I'll be reading this again soon. And The beginning of part II is so clever it hurts.

Reread: I picked this book again for a research but this book just got better.

charlottegrace's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense fast-paced