Reviews for I Am Malala, by Christina Lamb, Malala Yousafzai, Archie Panjabi

esteban's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

yashirolevi's review

this was really impactful to me. i honestly did not know a lot about pakistan and their history and politics but i did know of malala prior to even learning about her book. and documentary. i feel like i learned so much and i really admire malala for what she stands for and i stand by her on what she says about education. she is so important not only to pakistan but probably i could say the world because her story and her drive has moved millions.

yes, there was a bit of info-dumping in the book at times but to me it wasn't really boring as history and different countries' life interests me and this had plenty of both.

i would give this a high high praise and i recommend it to everyone even remotely interested in what happened to malala and how one teenage girl can have so much impact on a strict and traditionally conservative country's girls' education (as i do not like to rate personal stories or autobiographies) .

amy the book bat's review

Malala is such a remarkable young lady. She has such a beautiful soul. She is intelligent and articulate. I am so glad that she survived being shot so that she can continue her good works.

Traveller_maria's review

I've got it from the library but I will definitely buy it. Every time I'm down or search for an inspiration, I will reach for this book and find my favorite quotes . It changed my opinion on Islam

phloxyloxy's review

Audiobook. I never really followed Malala's advocacy for women's/girls' right to education, so what interested me the most about this book was her account of living in Swat before, during, and "after" Taliban rule. Just hearing her explain how they terrorized the communities and were successful in preventing people from speaking out and how ineffective the Pakistani government was against them....I can't imagine what it was actually like to live through that.

This book is a few years old now, so I'm interested to see what she's been up to lately and where she goes in life.

bunnila's review

challenging hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

4.75

The only complaint I have is that sometimes the narration was a bit chaotic, but this book! is! so! good!
So informative and inspiring, I learned a lot and Malala is truly inspiring.

sharni's review

informative inspiring

4.75

khrys's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted sad tense medium-paced

4.5

allthingsnerdy's review

challenging emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

4.5

Malala's story is both heartbreaking and inspiring. She cares so much for her people and female education even when so many people and systems have let her down.

Cryssy Dee's review

I've been wanting to read this book since forever but I kept getting distracted. I was beyond ecstatic when I learned about the audiobook as my new day job has me driving for hours at a time every day.

I'm glad I actually listened to the book instead of reading it because I would have never been able to pronounce or understand a lot of the cultural references due to the language barrier. In the beginning when she gave her version of how she was shot, I had already prepared myself because I had also watched her documentary. But, towards the end when she explained what actually happened, I couldn't stop myself from crying. To be shot in the face for advocating the education of girls seemed incredulous but... It happened.

I don't know if it's her culture, religion, or her nature but her ability to remain positive after what happened to her and continue to support her cause is absolutely beautiful. I applaud this young woman for her courage and determination.

More...