Reviews for Waiting on a Bright Moon, by J.Y. Yang

Corrie 's review

A short story with a nice mix of sci-fi and fantasy. I thought the world-building was very imaginative and well executed for a novella this size. It was easy to picture it all in my head anyway (including that horrific execution scene!). The 2nd person narrative is not something I see a lot so that takes a page to get used to. I didn't know J. Y. Yang but I would certainly read more of them. These Tor short stories are a great way to broaden your horizon.

f/f

• Loveable characters? Yes
  • Diverse cast of characters? Yes
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? It's complicated

moosegurl's review

"A coup is a coup is a coup, and a bullet can kill you regardless of ideology."

vikie_vi's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional medium-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Loveable characters? N/A
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

PopeStig's review

This made me really look forward to reading [b:The Black Tides of Heaven|33099588|The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate #1)|J.Y. Yang|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485291538s/33099588.jpg|53763120].

There's a lot packed into this short story about how we treat each other, how power operates and how fragile and strong we can be.

Annathea's review

This is not my cup of tea (then again it's hard to say what is these days), but that doesn't mean it's not good. It is. Also quite lyrical and so sad.

balancinghistorybooks's review

This was not at all my usual fare, but I actually really enjoyed it. I found the world building interesting, and everything felt well pulled together.

jamiereadthis's review

It’s so difficult to do 2nd person POV right. Those who want to attempt it: take notice of this novella. Yang does it right. Also, I love that Ursula Le Guin coined “ansible” in 1966 and it’s still alive and well today.

Perpetual Gloom's review

Outstanding

A satisfying political story in a sci fi setting that lives and breathes in spite of the brevity of the story, featuring queer characters. Everything I wanted from this stumbled upon short read.

Nichola's review

This was incredibly beautiful and haunting
Like all of JY Yang's work, this is a powerful discussion of humanity and power in a fraught society. This was a lovely read.