Reviews for Timeline, by Michael Crichton

gunner's review

1.0

Never thought Crichton could write such useless garbage, but here, he has. Time travel & knights, how could he go so wrong?

disis19's review

3.5 Actually

This book came up on my radar years ago when I first saw it's movie adaptation on SyFy Channel. Turns out that I actually started reading it a while ago, because when I went to pull it off my shelf, there was a book mark in it already. I really enjoy the movie and was excited to pick this up again since I've had such great luck with the other Michael Crichton books I've read recently. Unfortunately, this one didn't wow me as much as [b:Jurassic Park|6424171|Jurassic Park|Michael Crichton|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344371661s/6424171.jpg|3376836] or [b:Pirate Latitudes|6428887|Pirate Latitudes|Michael Crichton|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1332304096s/6428887.jpg|6618328].

The book starts out with a lot of scientific jargon and explanations that just bogged down the story for me. It did finally start to pick up for me once we got to meet our historians, though getting to that point was a bit of a struggle. Though I did own a copy of this book, I ended up listening to about 90% of it on audiobook instead.

This is one of those books that I could not just sit down and tuck into. I could only take a little section at a time before it got to be too much to absorb. I also think the movie adaptation was done very well and cut out all of the things that bogged this journey down for me, though there were several differences. I have seen the movie about four times, which tells you how much I enjoy watching it.

Knowing how much I enjoyed the movie, I expected to enjoy this book as much if not more. Though I liked the book, I think my disappointment is reflected in my rating. I felt disconnected from the characters, which is a shame because Marek's story is one that I enjoyed watching in the film. I am glad that I did finally read this book, but it is definitely one of those books that I will not be looking to re-read in the future. I think I'll stick to the movie version instead.

rrice2017's review

adventurous

erin.in.the.city's review

The first half is quite slow, but the second half moves very quickly and is much more exciting.

natcalibooks's review

adventurous dark funny fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Diverse cast of characters? It's complicated
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

3.75

KiwiCoral's review

I know objectively that this is not high literature, but this book is just so damn fun I can't stop from loving it. Yes, the villain's motivation is a bit weak, but who cares!

Dozylocal's review

I have mixed feelings about this review. Parts like the concept and the historic flavour are on the 4/5 side of the scale, but the story itself seemed to drag on a bit long with repeated sword fights and close calls. And the eventual "end" seemed almost an after thought, as if Michael Crichton just ran out of steam. There were also hints at character development or a love story, but those never went anywhere. I liked the prologue though. Definitely a enjoyable read, and probably well suited to a holiday book list.

Juggernaut's review

adventurous lighthearted tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Loveable characters? No
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

Ayami's review

Quite typical Crichton novel. As usual, I enjoyed the science part of the story (nice touch with the multiverse approach), even if it was a bit stretched at times. Not a big fan of choosing the medieval times as the setting but it was ok. Read it mostly for the time travel aspect and wasn't disappointed there. The ending was a bit predictable and a little forced but it didn't spoil the book too much.

VeganCleopatra's review

Overall I enjoy Crichton's books (aside from the AWFUL State of Fear) because he entertains us with a good story. While his writing is never complex, it is enjoyable. This is another one of those types of books, except this one had science AND historical fiction, both which I thoroughly enjoy. A good read overall.