Reviews for Point Blank, by Anthony Horowitz

libraryofalexandria's review

This was not as amazing I remembered, sadly. In fact it was pretty lazy. After reading Horowitz’s amazing new mysteries and watching his incredible screenwriting, I was pretty disappointed that this book didn’t hold up to a little bit of scrutiny. There’s little to no character development and active sexism (which I’m glad I didn’t notice in my first read). But, I really loved this book as a kid so 3/5 for a re-read.

silentrequiem's review

This is the second book in the series that is like James Bond for a YA crowd. I'm really enjoying this series. They're wonderful brain candy with fast (if highly improbable) plotting. In this book, Alex Rider infiltrates an elite boarding school in the middle of France that is more prison than school. Only, of course, there's something shady going on with the students... I'll be picking up the rest of the books though I'm not sure I'll be buying them - they're more library books, I'm thinking.

Theadora's review

The antagonist had an incredibly odd plan! My predictions of what he was doing were way off. Interesting. Alex is getting better and it was neat seeing Wolf again. I hope he becomes a frequent character. Blunt irritates me so badly.

Fien's review

De combo van een zwarte piste en een strijkplank als snowboard is misschien net iets té ongeloofwaardig...
Voor de rest wel een goed jeugdboek met een spannende cliffhanger!

Olivia Cornwell's review

I enjoyed this one. Lots of action and mystery, and the ending leaves you at the edge of your seat and wanting more.

Iceangel9's review

The second in the Alex Rider series, finds Alex again forced to work for MI6. Something is up at a fancy school in the remote French Alps that only accepts the sons of the rich, famous, and powerful. Can Alex figure out what's going on in time? Will he get out alive? What will he do when he meets himself?

barkalot's review

Alex Rider, a fourteen year old school boy, became a spy for the British secret intelligence service after his uncle (another spy) was murdered. He thought it was just a one time opportunity, but after he drops a barge onto the police station (drawing some unwanted attention to himself and the M16), the M16 says they have another job for him.

This time, Alex must infiltrate Pointe Blanc - a private and exclusive school for wealthy but problematic young men. The fathers of two of these young men recently died under mysterious circumstances, and M16 believes that there may be some connection. They need Alex to go undercover as a new student at the school. He does so, and discovers that the school’s headmaster, Dr. Grief, has plans to take over the world using 16 clones that he made of himself. The clones have been studying the mannerisms, habits, and family histories of each of the boys who attends Pointe Blanc – and after undergoing plastic surgery, they physically resemble them as well. Before Alex can let the M16 know what he’s discovered, however, Dr. Grief locks him in a cell – intending to dissect him slowly (while he’s still alive) as a class activity. Alex doesn’t want to wait around for rescue (or dissection), so he breaks out of his holding cell and escapes on a makeshift snowboard that he fashions out of an ironing board.

The action doesn’t stop there. In fact, this plays out much like a James Bond movie – with a much younger protagonist. Alex Rider is a believable teen spy, though – he’s smart, tough, self-reliant, and he’s got some cool gadgets (courtesy of M16).

There are kids (usually boys) who LOVE this series. I can definitely see the appeal. Point Blank was really good. Long live Alex Rider! May he live long enough to grow into the next James Bond! And, like James Bond, you can experience these out of order – I thought I’d checked out the first book in the series, but this was the second.

booksfilmscoffee's review

It was so much fun re-reading this book. These books were a huge part of my childhood, so going back to these stories is fun and nostalgic and now I really want to go through and finally finish off this series!

Clio (Bemuzed Bookworm)'s review

This one sees the two sides of Alex Rider. He is often attracted to danger or adventure because he craves that feeling he had on mission, but when on mission he realizes how much danger he has been put in and wants out. Very much central in Point Blank.

CaterinaAnna's review

This was a great fun read after a very heavy week at work: Alex heads off to an exclusive school in the Alps having first of all dumped a lab-in-a-barge- in ... no, to say where would spoil it. Actually the description of the crane operations had me looking at the ones I can see from my bedroom window in a totally new light. Far more filmic than [b:Stormbreaker|136782|Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)|Anthony Horowitz|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1288354739s/136782.jpg|833565] so let's hope they make the sequels too.