Reviews for Let Her Fly: A Father's Journey, by Malala Yousafzai, Ziauddin Yousafzai, Louise Carpenter

jaymeeloo's review

What a man. I adore him.

furygirrl10's review

Touching, inspiring story of a man wanting to do good, and to empower those around him. Ziauddin started with a small change, that snowballed into a global movement. It's not very common to hear someone recount the ways they have grown, including their successes, failures, and flaws. It is compelling, honest account that was hard to put down. The burrita anecdote was my favorite; it played out the same way it would have in my family.

bluehairedraven's review

I love the way Ziauddin (just like Malala in "I Am Malala") tells stories and I enjoy learning more about the Pakistani culture. Ziauddin's fight against the patriarchy and sexism is done in an incredible way, everyone should read this and learn from him.

livingamidstpages's review

Absolutely fantastic-a short read yet immensely powerful and is an incredibly enlightening feminist perspective. The short memoir showcases the difficulties of Yousafzai's formative years being spent in a suffocating patriarchal household that served him to his benefit, and how this led to his fervent desire to keep striving for the education of girls.

chloemetz's review

After Malala Yousafzai was shot by the Taliban as a teenager, the world has watched as she has continued to stand up for the right to girls education. By her side has been her father, Ziauddin and now, it is time to tell his story and the fight for equality he has been working on for more than 20 years.

Malala has made no secret of the love and admiration she holds for her father and in this it is clear to see that the love goes both ways. There were points where I felt that it was so focused on Malala, I wondered about her younger brothers. This is rectified in the book as Ziauddin talks about his sons and, equally, the struggles he has had parenting two boys in a world so different to his own.

One of the things I loved most, was the dedication to his wife. This felt so pure and wonderful that he truly believes that she is his equal and his love. It was important to see that this was so deep rooted in wanting equality for his family from within his home, before extending it to the wider world.

I gave this 4 stars, I really enjoyed reading more about Ziauddin, his life and beliefs. The fact that this looked at him as a whole person, rather than just as Malala's father. This is an intriguing look at what is an extraordinary man.

A huge thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and author for this copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

ReadMeMarie's review

Having followed Malala for a while now (and having had the privilege hear her speak and meet her at an event a couple of years ago), I was really interested to see what her father had to say and what his story entailed. It was insightful and refreshing to view things from his perspective, not only in terms of Malala and her growing up, but also his background and his views and relationships, especially with his family. I loved learning about all the things that Ziauddin has achieved which are sometimes overlooked - he's a great role model for Malala to have grown up with and I wish him all the best!

More...