Reviews for After the Funeral, by Agatha Christie

mwgerard's review

Please read my full post here: http://mwgerard.com/summer-of-christie-after-the-funeral/

Library of Alexandra's review

This wasn't as good as Murder on the Orient Express but I still thoroughly enjoyed this! It focused more on family drama and post war life than I was expecting, plus I thought the ending was a little rushed. I did fly through this, though, and I'm excited to delve deeper into Agatha Christie!

WishfullyReading's review

★★★✰✰ 3.5 stars

[b:After the Funeral|527744|After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)|Agatha Christie|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1384881992s/527744.jpg|1812530] was an overall good read. It might not be Christie's best but it is has a lot of entertaining scenes and dialogues.
Christie sketches out her characters' personalities with only a few sentences:

Mr. Goby was small and spare and shrunken. He had always been refreshingly nondescript in appearance and he was now so nondescript as practically not to be there at all. He was not looking at Poriot because Mr. Goby never looked at anybody.
Such remarks as he was no making seemed to be addressed to the left-hand corner of the chromium-plated fireplace curb.

The interaction between Poirot and Mr. Goby was one of my favourite scenes in this books.
As per usual Christie pays attention to her characters' mannerism and quirks, making her characters all the more vivid in the reader's mind but these habits/traits are actually relevant to the mystery.
PS: I wish Poirot would have appeared at an earlier stage in the story.

Read more reviews on my blog

Harini's review

4.5 Stars

Christie is her usual best here and keeps you engaged. It was unpredictable, gripping and fun. What more can you ask for?

Iceangel9's review

A historical fiction mystery starring Hercule Poirot. When a rich man dies in his sleep, his family gathers to hear his will read. His sister suggests he might have been murdered and the next day she is found dead. The lawyer goes to Poirot for help solving the mystery.

Fern17's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious relaxing medium-paced
  • Strong character development? Yes
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

3.5

Anna von Willingh's review

adventurous funny mysterious tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? No
  • Loveable characters? No
  • Diverse cast of characters? No
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

fleurette's review

Something in this book didn't work for me. I didn't like it as much as I should.

Maybe it is because this year I have read several books of Agatha Christie and this story contains some elements typical for this author. That's why this story seemed very similar to her other novels. To the point it blended out with some of Christie's other works. There was nothing new, fresh and unique about it. I doubt if in a month I'll be able to remember any details about this book.

Also because this story just didn't pull me in. I wasn't interested in it. It's so slow and devoid of twists. The mystery of death, or rather two deaths, is somehow so completely uninspiring. And a group of the characters similar to other characters from the novels of Christie. There is simply nothing distinguishing about this novel. There is not one element that would make it stand out from the others.

I am also disappointed with the ending. Apparently it should be a surprise but even though I did not suspect this person any more than the others, after all this solution at the end is very Christie style. If you read some of her books, it's no surprise. In my opinion, this ending is also somehow too simple. I was expecting something more spectacular, more unique, something more like The Murder in Orient Express.

This is not a bad book by Agatha Christie. It's just not a unique story.

AliciaMae's review