Reviews for The Only Good Indians, by Stephen Graham Jones

Shipwrecked Library's review

This absolutely blew me away. This is horror that is absolutely horrifying. Genuinely. I loved it.

Whatever1441's review

I was confused more then anything but I still liked it

rina-p's review

Whoa, this was a nice, modern take on classic slasher story! The deep-dive into Indian culture was also really great, it added texture to the whole story (although I can't speak to its accuracy, of course).

I picked up this book because of @booksandlala's Literally Dead book club, and each part/section was actually very interesting to discuss/analyse, because they covered different characters and the presence of 'evil' evolved as it took on a different form.

The stream-of-consciousness/word-vomit writing style was a bit challenging to get into at the start (it reminded me of [b:Zone One|10365343|Zone One|Colson Whitehead|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1327888785l/10365343._SY75_.jpg|15268500], even though this book was easier to read because it at least had chapters), but once I got into the story, I was hooked. I flew through the second (Sweat Lodge) and third (Rez) parts!

The basketball details were lost on me, as I wasn't into the sport. But I did get the significance of the 'game' (it was probably not a coincidence that this word had multiple meanings).

Anyway, I'm still reeling with the book hangover. That's how good it was!

Brews.and.books's review

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated
  • Loveable characters? It's complicated
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? Yes

4.25

livinglifeliterary's review

I wish I had read this at the beginning of October instead of starting it in November because I am so horror burnt out since I read horror nonstop for the full month and definitely think this book would be a 5 star if my brain wasn’t melting. But that’s not the books fault.

This was really interesting and scary and beautiful. The writing was chefs kiss and filled with haunted words. We need more indigenous horror stories, they’re perfect.

nicksbookshelves's review

This horror novel made me feel more emotions than any other book ever before.
I shall never recover from this.

biancarosesmith's review

I hesitated writing this review because it is so damn good. Stephen Graham Jones is in a league of his own. This is literary horror at its best.

The narrative follows Lewis, a Blackfeet man who feels that something has followed him from an elk hunting trip with friends which ended badly.

This tale of revenge is one that will get under your skin. It’s thoroughly creepy and will sneak up on you in unexpected ways. There’s gore but personally these weren’t the parts that creeped me out. It was the feelings of eerie discomfort Stephen evoked in me through his storytelling who’s style cannot be compared to any other.

I enjoyed the author’s personal weaving in of Indigenous culture and the exploration of the stereotypes Indigenous people of America are subjected to. He wasn’t afraid to go to those places and I think that is so important if healing from colonisation is to occur.

I will admit I do find Stephen’s writing style difficult to follow. I need to be really paying attention to fully grasp everything that is going on and I did find it took around 100 pages to become invested in the story but by that point I was hooked.

This is a unique slasher with an Indigenous stamp. If you’re looking for a slasher with a bit more depth or simply a horror book that has more edge to it I recommend you check out The Only Good Indians.

gusiakos's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced
  • Strong character development? It's complicated